Belford Museum

In 2008 a summer local history exhibition with displays featuring “lost houses”, reminiscences from local people and a display of period clothes was mounted in an empty building. This was extremely popular, a chord had been struck, a need proven, so further annual exhibitions were organised until, in 2012, a permanent home was offered in part of the village Reading Room.

 

The Reading Room dates back to 1854, when the Squire, John Dixon Atkinson Clark, presented the building to the village with the intention of cultivating ‘good feeling between different members of the community’. After the First World War, due to a road widening scheme, the building was significantly altered and is the building you see today.

 

Belford Community Group was successful in obtaining grants to renovate the disused building and convert it into the museum we have today. The Museum is part of Belford Community Group and has grown from a one-off display into a permanent and very successful and innovative community asset.

 

The information within the museum is constantly changing and evolving. At present we have displays showing the Belford Auction Mart through time, a gruesome Doctor’s bag and his equipment and much more showing Belford through the years.

 

The Library is used as a local archive. We hold a number of records including births, marriages and deaths for the local area. There are many more records, call in and have a look, we are always adding more.